Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Here, There, and Everywhere

Clearly I'm not very good at being a consistent blogger but here are a few highlights from the past couple of weeks! 
  
The Botanic Gardens
The gardens are a short walk from campus. It's a beautiful part of the city and I can't wait to go back when the weather is nicer and the trees start getting their leaves.


A few members of our international family!
Pubs and Clubs 
Whether it's listening to live music, dancing, or enjoying a pint, the Irish definitely enjoy their night life. We've  all had no problems adjusting to this aspect of the culture. I think the "When in Ireland do as the Irish do" philosophy applies here!

Morgan, Paige F (having the same name has caused confusion many times), and Sarah
These are the other girls from UNC that I traveled with. None of us had ever tried Guinness before so it was a picture worthy moment when we all had our first pint of Guinness together.
 Not what I had expected but not too bad! 

The Laundromat 
The international residence building doesn't have a washer or dryer (a bitter subject for us all) so our only options are to send our laundry out to get cleaned our haul it all down to the laundromat. Getting clothes set out to be washed is a bit pricey so off to the laundromat we went! Everywhere we go in Dublin it is very apparent that we're not from around here but it was especially apparent as we walked 20 minutes to the only laundromat in the area. 
While in the laundromat we dropped the bottle of soap and sent liquid detergent across the floor. The building wasn't heated so we could see our breaths the entire time we were there. The dryers didn't work so after over 2 hours we left the laundromat with very wet clothes. Overall it was a very frustrating experience and we're looking into other options for next time. 

Birthday Time!
Two people from our international group, Paige and Romain, had their 21st birthday on Januray 29th. To celebrate the occasion we all got dressed up for a night out at Temple Bar. This section of town is a big tourist area with an array of pubs and street performers. 


Wandering Around Dublin
 Just when I start to think I'm getting this huge city figured out we venture out somewhere new and I'm completely lost again. It's safe to say that I'll never be bored here or run out of things to do. I'll also never run out of Chinese restaurants to eat at, I see them everywhere! I think the current record is four in one block! 
Yesterday I made a list of places I want to go in Dublin which includes The Modern Art Museum, The History Museum,  The Dublin Castle, and much much more!



No comments:

Post a Comment